【双语阅读】一天的等待_(官网)厦门泛扬英语培训机构
厦门英语
当前位置:泛扬英语 > 英语角 > 英语角 >

【双语阅读】一天的等待

时间:2013-04-17 14:42 作者:泛扬英语 点击:

-oceA Day’s Wait
一天的等待

 

He came into the room to shut the windows while we were still in bed and I saw he looked ill. He was shivering, his face was white, and he walked slowly as though it hurt him to move.
他走进我们房间关窗时,我们还没有起床,不过我发现他好像生病了,全身哆嗦,脸色苍白,脚步迟缓,似乎动一下就会疼痛。
“What’s the matter, Schatz?”
“那儿不舒服了,沙茨?”
“I’ve got a headache.”
“头痛。”
“You better go back to bed.”
“快会床上躺去。”
“No. I’m all right.”
“不,我没事儿。”
“You go to bed. I’ll come back to see you when I’m dressed.”
“你先会床上去,我穿好衣服就去看你。”
But when I came downstairs he was still dressed. sitting by the fire. looking like a very sick and miserable boy of nine years. When I put my hand on his forehead I knew he had a fever.
我下楼时,他还穿着衣服坐在火炉旁。这个九岁的男孩看上去又虚弱又可怜,我摸了摸他的额头,发现他发烧了。
“You go up to bed,” I said. “You’re sick.”
“上床躺着,”我说,“你发烧了。”
“I’m all right,” he said.
“我没事。”他说。
When the doctor came he took the boy’s temperature.
医生来了,给孩子量了体温。
“What’s it?” I asked him.
“多少度?”我问医生。
“One hundred and two.”
“一百零二度。”
Returning downstairs, the doctor left there different medicines in different colored capsules with instruction on how to take them. One was to bring down the fever, another a purgative, and the third was to overcome an acid condition. The germs of influenza can only exist in an acid condition, he explained. He seemed to know all about influenza and said there was nothing to worry about if the fever did not go above one hundred and four degrees. This was a mild flu and there was no danger if you avoided pneumonia.
下楼后,医生留下三种不同颜色的胶囊,并交代如何服用。一种是退烧药,一种是泻药,还有一种是抗酸药。他解释说,流感病菌只有在酸性环境中才能存活。他似乎对流感很在行,还说只要发烧不超过一百零四度就没什么还担心的。只是轻度流感,只要当心别引发肺炎,就没有什么危险。
Back in the room I wrote the boy’s temperature down and made a note a=of the time to give the various capsules.
我回到房间里,几下孩子的体温和服药的时间。
“Do you want me to read to you?”
“要不要我读书给你听?”
“All right. If you want to.” said the boy. His face was very white and there were dark areas under his eyes. He lay still in the bed and seemed very detached from what was going on.
“好的,您想读就读吧。”孩子说,他脸色苍白,眼窝下方有黑晕。他静静的躺在床上,对周围发生的一切似乎漠不关心。
I read aloud from Howard Pyle’s Book of Pirates; but I could see he Was not following what I was reading.
我大声朗读霍华德.派尔的《海盗故事》,可我发觉他根本没有听。
“How do you feel, Schatz?” I asked him.
“感觉怎么样,沙茨?”我问道。
“Just the same as before,” he said.
“还是老样子。”他说。
I sat at the foot of the bed and read to myself while I waited for it to be time give him another capsule, it would have been natural for him to go to sleep, but when I looked up be was looking at the foot of the bed, staring very strangely.
我坐在床脚,自顾自地念着书,等着到时间在给他吃另一种胶囊。按理说他应该睡着了,可是我抬头一看,他正神情古怪地盯着床脚。
“Why don’t you try to sleep? I’ll wake you up for the medicine.”
“怎么不去睡会?吃药的时候我会叫醒你。”
“I’d rather stay awake.”
“我还是醒着好。”
After a while he said to me, “You don’t have to stay in here with me, Papa, if it bothers you.”
过了一会,他冲我说:“爸爸,要是您觉得心烦的话,就不用在这陪我。”
“It doesn’t bother me.”
“没有什么可心烦的。”
“No I mean you don’t have to stay if it’s going to bother you.”
“不,我是说,如果这事会给您带来烦恼的话,您就不用待在这里了。”
I thought perhaps he was a little confused and after giving him the prescribed capsules at eleven o’clock I went out for a walk.
我以为他有点神志不清了,十一点按医嘱给他吃完药,我便出去散步了。
It was a cold day, the ground was covered with a little snow that had frozen hard. It seemed as if all the bare trees, the bushes, the cut bush and all the grass and the bare ground had been varnished with ice, I took the young Irish setter dog with me. and as we walked up the road and along a frozen creek, it was difficult to stand or walk on the slippery surface. I fell twice, hard, once dropping my gun and having it slide away over the ice.
户外很冷,地面覆盖着一层结成冰的薄雪。那光秃秃的树木、灌木从、修剪过的树枝、草坪和空地,似乎都被笼罩在寒冰里。我牵着小爱尔兰赛特犬出门,沿着大陆和结冰的小溪往前走,可是,要在滑溜溜的地面上站立或行走,真是有点困难。我重重地摔了两跤,一次猎枪被摔出去,在冰面上滑出去老远。
We flushed a covey of quail under a high clay bank with overthanging bush and I killed two. Some of the covey were still in trees, but most of them scattered into bushes and it was necessary to shake the ice-coated bushed several times before they eventually flew out, I stood unsteadily on the icy bushes and managed to shoot another two; I then returned home.
一群鹌鹑躲在悬着树枝的高高的黏土提下,被我们惊飞了,我举枪击落两只。有几只仍然栖息在树上,其他大部分都钻进了灌木丛。要像把他们赶出来,你得把结冰的灌木丛摇几下。我摇摇晃晃地站在结冰的灌木丛中又击落了两只鹌鹑,随后回家了。
At the house they said the boy had refused to let anyone come into the room.
“You can’t come in, he said. “You mustn’t get what I have.”
回到家,家人告诉我孩子不让任何人进他的房间。
I went up to him and found him in exactly the position I had left him, white-faced, but with the tops of his cheeks flushed by the fever; he was still staring at the foot of the bed.
“你们不能进来,”他说,“千万不要被我传染。”
I took his temperature。
我测了他的提问。
“What is it?”
“多少?”
“Something like a hundred,” I said, It was one hundred and two.
“一百来度。”我说。其实是一百零二度。
“It was a hundred and two,” he said.
“刚才是一百零二度。“他说。
“Who said so?”
“谁说的?“
“The doctor.”
“医生。”
“Your temperature is all right,” I said. “It’s nothing to worry about.”
“你的体温没问题。”我说,“没什么好担心的。”
“I don’t worry,” he said, “but I can’t keep from thinking.”
 “我不担心,”他说,“可是我忍不住胡思乱想。”
 “Don’t think,” I said. “Just take it easy.”
“不要胡思乱想。”我说,“放轻松点儿。”
 “I’m taking it easy,” he said and looked straight ahead, He was evidently holding tight onto himself about something.
“我挺放松。”他说着,眼睛直直盯着前方。显然,他在极力克制自己。
“Take this with water.”
“喝点水,把药吃了。”
“Do you think it will do any good?”
“您觉得这有用吗?”
“Of course it will.”
“当然有用。”
I sat down and opened the Pirate book and started to read, but I could see he was not following, so I stopped.
我坐下来,打开《海盗故事》,读给他听,但看得出来,他根本没听,于是我停了下来。
“About what time do you think I’m going to die?” he asked.
“我大概什么时候会死?”他问道。
“What?”
“什么?”
“About how long will it be before I die?”
“我还能活多久?”
“You aren’t going to die. What’s the matter with you?”
“你不会死。你这是怎么啦?”
“Oh yes, I am. I heard him say a hundred and two.”
“哦,不,我会死的。我听到他说一百零二度。”
“People don’t die with a fever of one hundred and two. That’s a silly way to talk.”
“人发烧到一百零二度是不会死的,你在说傻话。”
“I know they do. At school in France the boys told me you can’t live with forty- four degrees. I’ve got a hundred and two.”
“我知道会的。在法国上学的时候,同学们告诉我,发烧到四十四度就活不下来了。我已经烧到了一百零二度了。
He had been waiting to die all day, ever since nine o’clock in the morning.
“原来早上九点起,整整一天时间,他都在等死。
“You poor Schatz,” I said. ”Poor old Schatz. It’s like miles and kilometers. You aren’t going to die. That’s different thermometer. On that thermometer thirty- seven is normal. On this kind it’s ninety eight.”
“你这可怜的宝贝儿,”我说,“哦,可怜的傻宝贝儿,这就像英里和公里的问题。你不会死的。这种温度计不一样。用那种温度计测,三十七度是正常体温。而用这种温度计测,正常体温是九十八度。”
“Are you sure?”
“你肯定?”
“Absolutely,” I said, “It’s like miles and kilometers. You know. Like how many kilometers we make when we do seventy miles in the car?”
“完全肯定。”我说,“这就像英里和公里的换算一样。你知道,就好像我们车速开到七十英里,该换算成多少公里一样。”
“Oh.” he said
“哦。”他说。
His gaze at the foot of the bed relaxed slowly. The hold over himself relaxed too. And finally, the next day he was very slack and he cried very easily at little things that were of no importance.
他紧盯着床脚的目光渐渐放松了一些,一直绷着那股劲儿也终于缓了下来。第二天,他轻松极了,为了一点儿无关紧要的小事儿就大哭大叫起来。